Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Lent

We are on the eve of an important practice of the Christian faith - Lent.  It is a time of reflection and a time of sacrifice.  It is the time we are to remember what Christ did for us.  I have never given up anything for Lent.  I never felt like I could do it with the right mindset.  What I mean is that I never felt that my motives were pure.  It was more about how I could benefit from the sacrifice as a means to lose weight than a reflection of a sacrifice that would challenge (and increase) my relationship with Christ.

If we feel moved to give up something for Lent let's make sure that we do it for the right reasons.  It should be something that is challenging and also moves us to rely on Christ.  Maybe it is something we do not think we could give up for 40 days: Facebook, TV, coffee, meat, sweets, soda, spending money, etc.

So, my question to all of you is this - what are you going to sacrifice?  Respond to the post so we can hold one another accountable and pray for one another as well.

1 comment:

  1. I'm giving up pocket money - no more stops at Turkey Hill before work; no more trips to the soda machine, no more quick drive-thru meals while running errands...it was either this or Facebook.
    I am not required to give anything up for Lent in my faith, but my best friend growing up was Catholic so it is something I adopted from her family. I love the practice of sacrificing something for Lent. I love the symbology of it all.
    I don't have a problem with giving up something that could also benefit you in some way. If anything it makes you think about the bad decisions you make every day that you could not be making. The changes you make during Lent could lead to better decision making overall. Don't knock choosing something that you know will benefit you in the long run...

    ReplyDelete