Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Discomfort

Trying to lose weight means being a little hungry from time to time.  I hate being hungry!  In fact, hunger and craving are the reasons I tend to fail at changing my diet.  One morning, when I woke up hungry, I had an epiphany or as Oprah says, and "a-ha" moment.  As I thought about my discomfort in being hungry, I thought about Jesus. Jesus was uncomfortable on the cross making the sacrifice for me.  In fact, He was in agony!  It put into perspective the "suffering" I felt just by eating in a disciplined manner that is glorifying to God.  God calls us to be disciplined and have self control.  This should be in our eating.  When we begin to whine about feeling hungry we must focus on Jesus - his temptation in the desert, his humiliation on the cross.  


Hunger can be dealt with when we focus on why we are hungry and feed on the word of Jesus.  He fills us with everything we need and we need to be witnesses for the world as to the truth of what he can provide.  It is such a disservice to Jesus to live under the vail of comfort.


"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles. And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us,  fixing our eyes on Jesus, the pioneer and perfecter of faith. For the joy set before him he endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinners, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart" (Hebrews 12:1-3 NIV)

No comments:

Post a Comment