Friday, January 21, 2011

Why?

The question I am pondering today is the question why?  More specifically, why do I want to lose weight and get healthy?  Seems like a question that would be easy to answer.  However, today, my morning devotions were about that question.  Mike Cleveland's book The Lord's Table starts with asking yourself what is the proper motivation for losing weight?  So often we are taught that if we aren't losing weight for ourselves it will never work.  This is typical of our culture.  Mike suggestions that we should be looking to change our lifestyle and lose weight for the glory of God.  That lead to my second question - does God care what I look like?  No, I don't think so, but I think he cares about disciplined choices.  As it was pointed out by a friend - "when my spiritual life is right, everything else seems to fall in line".  So true.  When we spend time with God, we tend to be more satisfied in our lives and stop trying to fill ourselves something else.

So, returning to the original question?  Why are we doing this?  Can we say it is for the glory of God?  For myself, when I answer that question, it is to treat the body God gave me in the way it deserves to be treated.  I have abused this body and have not taken care of it, so, it is only honoring to Him if I begin to act in a way that honors my body.

Think on that and I will see you in the morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment